View Single Post
Old September 11 2013, 02:37 AM   #38
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: Did TNG's Early Scope Shrink?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
You know whenever I hear someone describe TOS as "the ship and crew were completely on their own without a Starfleet Command to call for backup" I honestly have to wonder if that person or persons has ever watched TOS, because that was not really the case.

In fact they frequently running into other Starfleet vessels and stations. And if they weren't doing that they were visiting federation member planets and colonies, or had dealings with federation officials.
Frequently, yes, but not constantly. There were other episodes that were predicated on the ship being isolated, having to wait weeks even for a response from Starfleet Command, so that Kirk had to be the one making decisions that could make the difference between war and peace. "Balance of Terror" is a prime example. The point isn't that TOS was always like that -- the point is that it could be like that, could tell that kind of story in a way that TNG rarely could.
Absolutely. Also the TOS crew didn't have 'direct' communication with Starfleet command, and on several occasions part of the drama is that it could take days for Kirk's communiques to get to them and a further few days for a response to make its way back to the Enterprise, in which time Kirk still needs to deal with the problem at hand. So there was a degree of isolation there, where the crew had more autonomy than TNG (where communication with Starfleet was often only a case of opening a direct channel). I think Voyager was a deliberate attempt to go back to this template, to make it so the crew had to solve problems for themselves rather than ask for advice and follow orders.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I heard that they considered bringing Voyager home and just having the show set in Federation space like TNG. But if they did that, what would have happened to the Maquis? Would a quick pardon have been plausible?
I don't think they wanted to deal with it.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote