View Single Post
Old September 10 2013, 09:44 PM   #245
Mantyclause
Rear Admiral

Re: Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
The Librarian wrote: View Post
This is just plain insane. It is utterly, completely absurd to claim that the bridge from Relics is not the Enterprise bridge.
It's no more "insane" than what many of us do here at the BBS, i.e. getting into tiny details of Star Trek. I think "mental gymnastics", as Albertese put it so well (and again. I think he'd made a great speechwriter), would be more appropriate.
In fact the differences are there and obvious
  • the touch panels of helm and navigator are different
  • these stairs down to the inner bridge core are different
  • Kirk's command chair is lacking intercom speaker
  • dedication plaque and alert indicator are to0 close together
and so on. Since my original objection (TOS creators' intent) was considered irrelevant and it's retroacive canon that decides, I therefore examined the retroactive canon and found no evidence. Interestingly, now we are back to intent, since canon didn't work out for the Constitution Class.
So either the computer is stupid and produces the wrong ship bridge and Picard and Scotty(!!!!) are too stupid to pick up on this, or there are some cosmetic differences due to budgetary and time constraints.

To anyone who isn't going over pictures of the set with a microscope to point out how they didn't perfectly replicate it for one scene in one episode, it looks identical to the TOS bridge.
But it's okay to use a microscope to decipher the small print (!) of a small viewscreen display (!) which indicates the existence of a Constitution Starship Class and thus conjure up that the TOS Enterprise had to belong to this starship class?
I agree that using the viewscrens and "technical journals" that Scotty reads are a bit suspect.

Meanwhile, you suppose that Scotty, Picard, and the Ent-D computer all completely mistook the bridge for that of another starship class entirely. How do you explain the fact that the holodeck, which presumably has access to Starfleet visual records, came up with the wrong ship?
Obviously the computer didn't have visual records of Pike's, Decker's or Spock's bridge, otherwise it would have asked Scotty for specifications because it couldn't possibly know which NCC-1701 Scotty was talking about.
It stands to reason that Scotty only got what the computer had to offer and this could have just as well been the similar looking bridge of a Constitution Class starship.
Or else you're being overly nitpicky, since the bridge is amazingly close for a one-off set in an early 90s TV production.

Hey, Dax and Sisko are only Starfleet officers getting ready to go aboard the most famous ship in history, on a vital secret mission. I'm sure they didn't check the deck numbering at all. It's not like Dax didn't live through that time period or anything. Oh, wait, no. That again requires assuming the characters are complete idiots or that Starfleet somehow lost all records about the ship.
We do not know which other things Dax remembered other than the ones mentioned in the episode. But obviously she and/or Sisko didn't remember the correct deck numbering of the Enterprise which put O'Brien and Bashir in the hilarious situation I mentioned earlier.
I'm sorry, but I'll take the clearly and explicit statements by Picard, Riker, and Sisko, not to mention the massive amounts of fanon (since we do for the Miranda class name anyway) over a bridge plaque, ancillary materials in a period when all of the world-building details were in flux (Lithium-cracking station anyone), a fuzzy sign in TWOK.

While Bob Justman, Matt Jeffries, and Gene Roddenberry created Trek, it's not just their playground. You don't get to dismiss all of the other works just because it disagrees with a minor point of early intent when much of that early intent later disagreed with its own show.