Old September 10 2013, 08:53 PM   #71
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Technological Stagnation

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Complete nonsense.

Please provide examples of problems a computer could not respond to.
Nevermind, any examples I give would be complete nonsense to you as well.
I'll take that as you conceding the point.
Certainly not, and see Silvercrest's post pointing out your contradicting yourself.

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
No argument with either point. But it's hard to know where to draw the line between where a machine should be responsible and where a human must be. I'd hate for that line to be drawn by the lawyers.
That's another point. Who is responsible when a car on autopilot runs over a kid that suddenly appeared between two parking cars?

Despite Maxwell's nonsense talk and Lindley's reaction time argument, there are many situations that cannot be avoided solely by faster reaction times. The driver needs foresight/anticipation. An AI that advanced is far away. And the idea that the computer should interpret a slam on the gas pedal as get the hell out of here command is nonsense as well, since there have been many cases where drivers hit the wrong pedal in panic. So the AI has also to properly interpret what the driver meant in a dangerous situation? Not feasible. You cannot remove the human element, and you cannot make sure that you catch all human errors. You can enhance safety with driver assistance systems, but that's all. You will never be able to remove the driver's responsibility.

Last edited by JarodRussell; September 10 2013 at 09:07 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote