View Single Post
Old September 10 2013, 05:12 PM   #203
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile
Re: TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

JeBuS wrote: View Post
I suppose this is another basic philosophical difference, then. To me, anything that can be removed from a novel without affecting the outcome should be removed. Chekov's Gun. Their making up served no purpose to the plot of the novel. Nor did the mentions of Quark's financials.

Now, let's say in book #2 of The Fall, Julian and Ezri must work together to foil a dastardly plot by blah blah blah. That's where you put the stuff about them making up. Because that's where it will serve some purpose to the plot! Yes, I want to know how these characters are continuing their lives, but I want the accounts of their behaviors to matter to the novel! Otherwise, why not just create a daily diary for each character and call that the next novel?
Fair enough. I guess we just do have differing viewpoints, and the fact that this is the first book of a five-book series tells me that many of these moments will pay off in the future. But I can understand the desire to see the pay-off right away.