View Single Post
Old September 10 2013, 08:49 AM   #35
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Imagine the TOS Starfleet

Praetor wrote: View Post
I'm reminded of the impression I constantly received when I first watched TOS - namely, that the Enterprise type was the biggest and best thing Starfleet had ...
I never got that impression, more the Enterprise was just one of many. But I've alway thought of Starfleet as having many thousands of starships.

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
The vessels that operated independently and undertook the kind of missions that make for interesting stories were usually the smallest types.
Or mid-sized, if you think about it, the Enterprise under Kirk undertook a fair share of little "shit jobs" that the pride of the fleet likely wouldn't have. Transporting princesses to their wedding, doing med exams on isolate archaeologists, making deliveries to penal colonies, etc..

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
I think a lot of the confusion is that what we would now consider Starfleet in the TOS era really wasn't fleshed out until the second season. Or the UFP, for that matter.
But the thing is we're not just dealing with a small number of references, Earth ships, Earth bases, Earth outposts. Even after the UFP was brought into existence. So they can't just be casually dismissed.

In the first season of TNG there was still mention of Earth colonists.

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
^ "Journey to Babel" certainly made the TOS Federation look similar to the UN, since they sent Ambassadors to Babel to decide on the Coridan issue. If it was supposed to be a federal government, you think they would have just handled that in the halls of government.
In the (non-canon) comic books and Star Trek Online, the Federation sends ambassador to Federation members. After retiring, Picard is the ambassador to Vulcan.

In TAS's Yesteryear, Federation members exchange ambassadors with each other.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
Ah yes... forgot in particular the Tellarite one. Thanks!
But ship doesn't equal a naval vessel ...
True, but it doesn't exclude the possibility. The Enterprise is called a Earth ship and is a naval vessel.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote