View Single Post
Old September 9 2013, 08:59 PM   #369
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

I was of two minds on the last episode. On the one hand, the way they flushed Walt out was terrific; I was laughing from the moment he frantically ran out of the carwash. A few minutes' sequence as good as they get.

But once Hank went Johnny Law on Walt, I started to think things were wrapping up too neatly. How did Hank get so confident about putting Walt away all of a sudden? On the testimony of Jesse as a cooperating witness? Jesse wasn't arrested or advised of his rights as far as we've seen, there's been no prosecutor involvement, and there is no guarantee of Jesse's future cooperation. The other evidence is circumstantial or obtained illegally. Would putting the cuffs on Walt really be so satisfying if Hank eventually has to watch him walk out of court a free man? For a show that is usually so good about tying up motivations and situations, I'm afraid that didn't ring true. Even less so after the phone call to Marie, which felt like a real "other shoe to drop"-type set-up.

I was surprised when the gang opened fire with so little time left in the show. I was picturing more of a protracted standoff in the next episode. Hank and Gomie getting to cover without being shot full of holes was hard to believe, frankly, and if they live through the shootout I'm afraid it might be a hard to swallow, deus ex machina situation.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote