View Single Post
Old September 9 2013, 08:50 PM   #267
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Captain Pike was so ahead of the curve when it came to having a television in his quarters.
Wonder what he was watching? lol

Praetor wrote: View Post
It creates a fascinating paradox - people who are above all that and work only to better themselves, yet in actuality are still fascinated by the stuff they're better than. Root beer indeed.

Come to think of it, I think that's why all those preachy lines always drive me nuts.

I'm not saying that a positive example of a future is a bad thing, or a bad thing to aspire to, but when it's played as a vaguely hypocritical way of life, it's annoying and disheartening.
That's what I see. A simple answer would have been good enough, but Trek characters took it a step further with extra commentary about how backwards a past activity was.

What would make people suddenly want to go back reading books all day, watching plays, practicing on an instrument for hours, and nothing else?

It took over 90,000 years for humans to finally create television. Did Trek think humans were going to give it up suddenly and go back to telling stories, gardening, having picnics everday?

If you were to ask Picard if he watched TV he'd probably say something similar to Phlox, about finding real life more interesting than watching someone else's.

But if you were to ask him, 'but when you pretend to be Dixon Hill when you use the holodeck, how is that any different?"

Would love to see the expression....
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote