View Single Post
Old September 9 2013, 07:24 PM   #31
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Technological Stagnation

Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Let's be blunt here, technologically speaking we've stagnated.
Well, yes and no. We will never have handwavium--probably never have warp drive, anti-gravity, etc.

My concern is that folks have this idea that Moore's Law applies to everything. We have actually gone so far with consumer technology that I fear it is sapping real imagination.

I'm thinking Newton would not have completed the Principia had he had the distractions of twitter, blogs, e-mail, etc. Andrew Wiles had to shut himself off from the world to deal with Fermat's famous theorum.

Too many consumer gadgets, not enough respect for infrastructure and heavy industry--that's the real problem.

Worse, we have Republicans making statements about "something called volcano monitoring" wanting to destroye the Department of Energy, etc. Everywhere--not just at NASA--is this move by Ayn Rand types to destroy infrastructure.

Everything is getting larger and more expensive. Large Hadron, the Magellan Giant telescope, etc. This is not a bad thing--and people need to understand the need for growth of these systems. Here is a nice book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Science-Gr...ds=Big+Science

Last edited by publiusr; September 9 2013 at 07:35 PM.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote