View Single Post
Old September 9 2013, 06:32 PM   #25
Robert Maxwell
Amphibious Admiral

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Technological Stagnation

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I was thinking more like having to avoid those other random drivers who also aren't paying attention and driving like assholes. I get nervous about how a driverless car would react to certain things, or if it would react in enough time to be worth it.
I can guarantee you it would react far more quickly and accurately than you or I could. I'd bet my life on it.

How would a driverless car steer in the wintertime if it suddenly came upon a patch of ice and was about to swerve into oncoming traffic? How far ahead would a driverless car be able to see? If a family of deer suddenly jumps into the road, would the car be aware of it fast enough to avoid collision?
Are you serious? Have you not driven a modern car with a traction control system/electronic stability system? This is a solved problem and doesn't even require a self-driving car.
I guess not, because this is still very much a problem for a lot of people around here.
That's because they think they're smarter than the car.

A modern car know within milliseconds if a wheel is losing traction. It can vary the speed of each wheel to compensate. A self-driving car is even more capable: it can turn the wheels, increase or decrease acceleration, selectively apply brakes at different pressures to each wheel. It can do things that a human can't possibly do in order to avoid an accident. I can't guarantee a self-driving car will never get into an accident, however the consequences of such an accident are likely to be much less than if a human was at the wheel. We simply do not have the physical capabilities to control a car the way the on-board computer can.