View Single Post
Old September 9 2013, 05:08 PM   #76
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Theory About Why Most Don't Care for Enterprise as Much...

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
... and Phlox (for some reason? I don't recall them explaining).
I did wonder about Phlox, I know the Enterprise left Earth earlier than scheduled, but who was supposed to be the ship's doctor? They wanted Phlox along to care for the Klingon, but why was the "original" doctor simply dropped from the crew roster? It doesn't seem like the kind of move Archer would have agreed to.

There actually is a lot about the show they got right, I liked the way they expanded on the Vulcans and the Andorians. While I disliked the TCW as many do, the Sulban were interesting and so were the Xindi.

The "photonic" torpedoes really should have been missiles with small nukes.

I've wondered the same about Phlox, and generally agree with your other comments. I am one who didn't mind the "asshole" Vulcans, especially after the Kir'shara arc explained it. Rushed it, but explained it. And indeed, the Suliban weren't bad. I assumed they would become allies of the Romulans later on.

Part of my problem with ENT was in the places it was able to do things differently than the other series, by virtue of being a prequel, it didn't. The photonic torpedoes are a prime example. Turns out of you add "-ic" to anything, it makes it more primitive. Somehow.

I've always thought it would be interesting, as opposed to later series, if the missiles were the main weapon, and the energy weapons were primarily used as a means of intercepting them, as well as larger space debris. Later, as energy weapons became more advanced, they supplanted projectiles as the primary weapon. Then, you could also ditch hull-plating/shields, and make it so if the ship is damaged, she's really damaged.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote