View Single Post
Old September 9 2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Technological Stagnation

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
If you think our technological progress has stopped then you are simply wrong and not looking at the right areas for it. If all you care about is space travel, I don't know what to tell you. It's not currently cost effective to mine asteroids or set up colonies and we're not likely to do much of that unless and until it is.
Actually in terms of communications e.g. smart phones, we are way ahead of where futurists thought we'd be 20 years ago.

Also, IBM's super computer Watson actually beat a human being at Jeporady, and it fairly effectively mimics an artifical intelligence.

Watson now is involved in predictive Health Care and even now can predict audience reactions to films

I am however a little disappointed that technologies like the driverless car is so slow to market despite the fact we have the technology to implement them.
Watson is essentially an expert system with a good natural language processor in front of it. That's not to downplay its capabilities, but it very much builds on what came before. It's evolution, not revolution.

Driverless cars, on the other hand, had been held back by lacking a lot of the technological infrastructure necessary to make them work: cheap and ubiquitous GPS chips, reliable digital maps, cheap and ubiquitous cameras (and other sensors), and good/fast pattern recognition, as well as greater computerization of car functions in general. Basically, driverless cars weren't really possible until a lot of other things were in place. Now that they are, we're seeing very rapid advancement in this area, and estimates are that driverless cars will be a common sight on the roads in the next 10 to 20 years.

I, for one, can't wait. I don't really like driving and I'd love to hand that function over to a computer.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote