View Single Post
Old September 9 2013, 12:09 AM   #230
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
@ Albertese

Sorry, I do not have the 1970's Star Trek Concordance any more, just the latest one. So please feel free to tell us about that little "tidbit" you noticed.
Enjoy:

Star Trek Concordance (1976), Bjo Trimble wrote:

NCC-1701: the identifying number used for the starship Enterprise. Originally thought to be a memorial reference to the early twentieth-century Earth amphibious aircraft, the Navy Curtis Craft, it has recently been revealed that the numbering system for starships was the responsibility of two men: Matt Jefferies (See Jefferies Tube), a twentieth-century inventor responsible for the design of early starships, and the Constitution-type ship, including the Enterprise and Gene Roddenerry, an inventive television executive. They used "N" because it was a 1928 adoption by the United States as an identifying letter, "C" for "commercial," and the second "C" for esthetic balance--hence "NCC" as the call-letter identification for all Enterprise-class starships.
I thought it interesting that both Constitution and Enterprise are used here as the class type of our favorite starship in the same paragraph. What's THAT all about?

--Alex