View Single Post
Old September 8 2013, 09:40 PM   #104
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

Re: What Happens After Death

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Faith is believing in the invisible and intangible.
Yeah, and since it is invisible and intangible, why would you believe in it. It is indistinguishable from being made up fantasy.
It's sad having a discussion with someone who refuses to acknowledge what's already been said about personal beliefs and choices. If you still don't get it, I'll just say faith is a cultural thing. If you can't live with that, then you're a Nazi. Again, this is just like being asked to justify why one would prefer to wear boxers to briefs. It's an exercise in futility.

Would you deprive a little child of a fantasy of Santa Claus?
Yes, wouldn't you? Eventually I hope! The question is, at what point does it become inappropriate for a child to believe in Santa? At age 5? Age 8? Age 12? Maybe never? Why rob the child of that illusion if it makes the child happy, gives it hope and a moral framework to live by with a clear reward structure if it is good?
So why not reinforce the believe way into adulthood?
You're missing the point. Of course, when a child is old enough, he'll eventually figure out the truth about the Tooth Fairy, et al. But I was referring to little children whose belief in a jolly old fat guy in a red suit is part of the cultural observance of Christmas. Little ones in particular like the idea of a Santa Claus as part of the "magic" of Christmas.

I'm not really an expert on religion, nor do I pretend to be. If you're curious about one's religious beliefs, I would recommend having a conversation with a priest, an imam, or a rabbi. Sadly, I don't have all the answers.
Godd thing, we have those on the board. J.?
Godd thing, Godd Almighty.