View Single Post
Old September 8 2013, 08:58 PM   #100
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: What Happens After Death

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Another need is to be accepted the way we are. This goes for our believes (or lack of) as well. If we expect others to accept and respect our views on life, we must give them the same acceptance and respect.
As far as religion is concerned, we all have to agree upon the fact that we disagree. And frankly, it'd be a rather boring world if everyone believed the same.
Sure, though that doesn't mean we have to tiptoe around every bullshit believe people preach.
Of course we want to be respected for our believes and we definitely should respect the right of everyone to believe what he wants.
But then if I for some reason spout out total nonsense which I honestly believe myself, you better call me out on it and show me why I am wrong!
That's why I dig discussions like this.
Calling bullshit on something doesn't mean I disrespect someone. I just think he can do better.
And by that I don't mean adopt my point of view, but be more critical about his own.
See, I'm not sure I understand the logic of your argument. To me, it sounds as if a person of faith has to justify his beliefs to a non-believer such as yourself.

It's like saying, "Hey, I speak English. Why do you speak Spanish?" To which I would answer, "Why NOT? I have no problem with your speaking English or whatever language you prefer. I don't expect you to speak my language. So what's the problem? " Faith is believing in the invisible and intangible. Would you deprive a little child of a fantasy of Santa Claus? Faith, or lack thereof, is part of one's identity. I'm not really an expert on religion, nor do I pretend to be. If you're curious about one's religious beliefs, I would recommend having a conversation with a priest, an imam, or a rabbi. Sadly, I don't have all the answers.