View Single Post
Old September 8 2013, 05:32 AM   #227
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

Darkwing wrote: View Post
Albertese wrote: View Post
Okay, I follow your logic, but I still think it's an unnecessary stretch. Personally, I think I'm still comfortable with Enterprise and series 17 being Constitution-class ships.
I like the Mastercom class/subclass explanation here. Yeah, it's a minor retcon that they're all Connies, but various flavors thereof.
Yeah, I'm actually completely behind the Mastercom stuff. As a spiritual successor to FJ's TM, their take really ties it all together very nicely.

won't bother preaching on behalf of FJ's Star Fleet Technical Manual, as I know many people here simply won't have it, but I always thought his registry numbers (especially for the Enterprise sister ships) seemed more sensible. The way the Status Chart is played in "Court Martial" suggests that those ships are at the Starbase "now" and it always rubbed me the wrong way that nearly all the Enterprise sister ships would be there at once, being worked on.
And as I mentioned before, FJ's registries might be the authorized, intended registries, but the pressures of a war forced them NOT to decom a bunch of 16xx ships that were supposed to make way for new 17xx ships. and after any war, the politicians find a "peace dividend" - they cut the military budget. Ships that ought to get decommissioned and replaced with new ships stay in commission, and more money gets spent keeping them working (just in smaller chunks), exactly as today's navy does, and so has any military since Sargon.
Also makes sense.

On the other hand, I am in favor of MJ notion of ship numbers being DDSS where D is the design series number and S is the individual hull number, which would make the status chart showing ships of three different classes being worked on. Make better sense to me.
If planning out a new verse, ala nu-Trek, sure. Real Trek is too sprawling and messy for that to make sense, and has been since at least the mid-80s.
Oh, allow me to clarify. I should have mentioned this above... in fact I had intended to, but forgot to actually type it. I like the spirit of the MJ DDSS registry format, but I feel the after the start of the 24th Century it is necessarily something else. IMHO, I figure that sometime after the year 2300, maybe around the time that "Starfleet" became one word, they switched to a strictly sequential five-digit number beginning with NCC-10000 and giving every ship from Runabouts on up its own sequential number. This would have to be a fundamentally different system than that suggested by MJ for 23rd Century (and possibly earlier) use.

Then we have Star Trek Enterprise which seems to show us a starfleet which the first part of the registry is in fact a simple letter designation for a ship class more like Yenny seems to be suggesting. This seems to be another totally different system in use.

Just thought I'd clarify that.

--Alex