View Single Post
Old September 7 2013, 10:16 PM   #38
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: The Fall: Book 4: The Poisoned Chalice cover art revealed

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
The plot sounds very different from the usual Titan kind of story, which is exploration-focused. Even in Destiny, Titan's role in the plot was about discovering and exploring a remote alien society. This will be the first time ever that a TTN novel has been set primarily within Federation space. Quite a change. I wonder if it will have a lasting impact on the series.
I hope not. I'm really looking forward to this as I loved Swallow's previous entry, but a large part of the appeal of Titan for me is the Strange New Worlds ethos of Trek that has been the focus of the series and is what makes it tick. If the series switched to be another TNG-like take on the franchise, I'd be very disappointed.

I'm guessing (completely uneducated obviously) that this entry is more an "anomaly" for the series and we'll see reprocussions for the crew (a la Destiny to Over a Torrent Sea) that'll spin off into whatever next deep space assignment awaits the crew in subsequent books.

But what do I know?
I hope you are right and there is no lasting change.

I think it will be only a nice change of pace for Titan, that has the bonus of sounding like a very interesting story. I really enjoyed the first Titan book and it was set in Romulan space following up on the Nemesis story.
For me, I'd like a change. Titan back in the thick of the Typhoon Pact events would be way more interesting than yet more 'Strange New Worlds' stuff. Been there and done that over many episodes and more novels. I've lost interest.

In fairness, there's enough scope to cater for everyone already, so I understand why Titan is all about exploring AND why readers want that. It's just that I don't particularly...

Great cover by the way.