View Single Post
Old September 7 2013, 09:03 PM   #66
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: IS the okuda timeline canon?

sariel2005 wrote: View Post
What three years later line is this? I can't quite remember.
the opening of Emissary (DS9) has the battle of Wolf 359
We then have a caption of " 3 years later" and cut to Sisko arriving at Deep Space Nine.
Which would be 2370.
The whole "three years later" thing messes things up, when only little over two years has actually passed since "TBOBW2" aired in TNG's fourth season. DS9 premiered in the middle of TNG's sixth season. I just decided it was rounding up to three years. Unfortunately, right at the beginning of DS9 season two, Sisko talks about the four year anniversary of his wife's death. This is right at the beginning of TNG's seventh season, only three years since "TBOBW2."

Basically, DS9 screws everything up. There's no easy way to explain it by itself, let alone well enough to account for other date discrepancies (like Molly being four years old when she was born only one season earlier on TNG). Back when I used to care about stuff like this, it frustrated me to no end. I found the best way to deal with it is to simply not care.