View Single Post
Old September 7 2013, 04:28 PM   #31
Jan
Commodore

Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Snatcher42 wrote: View Post
Because lets face it, streaming is the future of television. As for cable and network, Kosh said it best: "they are a dying people. We should let them pass."
And so will B5 fandom be a dying people if we don't get [off our encounter-suited butts] together and do SOMEthing.

Look at it this way. There are *lots* of channels available in every market, and probably 5 or 10 or more of them might be reasonable candidates for rerunning Babylon 5. They don't have to be low on the dial, they just need to show it where people channel surfing (which I don't think will ever go out of style) can find it. THEN if we also get it up on Netflix or Hulu or some other streaming site, they can use that to catch up once their interest is piqued.

For now, B5 isn't in reruns on television anywhere in the world as far as I've been able to find out but all of 26 episodes are streaming on WBs own site so it seems likely that they might be more inclined to let it go back on television.

For an indication of just exactly the mindset we're dealing with, check out this panel from the Phoenix Comicon 'Fandom Endures' Panel. From about 42:54 to about 50:25, JMS talks about why B5 isn't on TV or streaming. I think we can overcome that if we can just show WB that there's money to be made.

So the question is...who's willing to *do* something? "We must create the future, or others will do it for us."

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote