View Single Post
Old September 7 2013, 01:36 AM   #266
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Can't say as the trailer has me excited--looks a bit to sanitised to me--but I got to be honest I'll watch just about anything with the likes of Jackson, Keaton and Oldman in the line-up. Hell I'm usually sold just with Oldman alone.

Again though, it looks very watered down and over explained. I get the feeling there'll be lots of scenes with people explaining things to each other interspersed with expensive action sequences. I like that the original knew what it was and didn't care. It got the dumb action, but it also had surprising depth and subtlety.

That whole sequence with the crash team (which IIRC used an *actual* crash team) and Murphy's death felt raw and horrific, even more so than his torture and execution. From that point on we don't see him again until something like 10 or 20 minutes later. It's all from his perspective and we never see exactly how much is left of him. This new film makes it look like he's still like 80% organic, whereas the original was probably just a brain, the front of his skull along with what's left of his face and probably a spinal cord. Also, the original made a big thing of him slowly reclaiming his lost humanity--that's half the point of the story--but here it looks like it's the other way around. As in he starts out himself but finds the machine is gradually taking over.

I know it's not really fair to make these comparisons, we should really let the new film do it's own thing and the creep of technology is a (slightly) more relevant modern theme than capitalism as an end unto itself. However, if they insist on remaking old films, it's going to be unavoidable and if they really wanted to do their own thing...then they should have done their *own* thing.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote