View Single Post
Old September 7 2013, 12:35 AM   #215
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

It's possible that Constitution Class starships (16th design) are stronger than Enterprise Class starships, so in the context of the TMP novelization you'd wonder how your strongest starships would cope with the latest Klingon Battlecruiser.

Bob
I think this is my main objection to your proposal. We get the idea throughout TOS that Enterprise (of series 17) is the top-of-the-line A-number-one type of vessel. Now, in princible, I have no problem with a subsequent design being in some ways inferior to its predecessor, (for example, the series 18 ship, like Reliant would seem less capable in some ways than the series 17 ships... more so in others) but I'm left with from viewing the show that NCC-17:01 is supposedly the hotness all the time. I would think that should rule out the possibility that series 16 would be the liklier match against a new Klingon ship. Since Enterprise was the best-in-show for Star Fleet, and it was series 17, then we must conclude that Kirk was wondering how the new Klingon ship would fair against the current best Star Fleet had to offer, which, seems to me would be a series 17 ship, as those have already outclassed series 16. Therefore, it seems very unlikely to me that the Constitution-class of Roddenberry's TMP novelization refers to the series 16 ships.

Anyway, I'm goofing off at work right now typing this, so I better get back to business.

--Alex