View Single Post
Old September 6 2013, 01:09 PM   #109
Robert Comsol
Re: Blu Rays Aspect Ratio Question

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
As the video clip I just posted minutes ago demonstrates, that is not always the case. Sometimes they frame the miniatures in extreme closeup and there is literally no more image left to show!
Sorry, when I posted last night I hadn't noticed your video clip, yet. But frankly, I can't help but wonder why you seriously used this hilarious piece of can-only-do-4:3-propaganda.

I brought the issue to Mr. Probert's attention and he expressed mild astonishment: Why then, don't they use Tobias Richter's fantastic CGI recreation to replace the 4:3-only VFX element (as they've done that already elsewhere to replace missing VFX footage)?

There is a talented artist named Justin Olsen who made rather fantastic 16:9 visualizations of the Starbase 74 scenes (and extended Mr. Probert's docking procedure matte painting, based on the original ILM widescreen studio shot of this scene - Mr. Probert thought it looked great and wouldn't mind its use in any future widescreen release of TNG).

Frankly, I rather have issues with the new aggressive posture of the Klingon Bird of Prey in "Sins of the Father" in contrast to the neutral posture in the original version.

@ Start Wreck

I agree with the problematic nature of the screencaps you illustrated and it's equally problematic for the battle bridge ready room scene with Riker and Picard in the Farpoint episode, even if it were possible to utilize the unseen areas left and right of the camera negatives.

If I had a say so I wouldn't recommend a future TNG release any wider than 15:9 (1.66:1) but I expect it will be 16:9 (1.78:1).

I also have no doubt that a reformatted widescreen version will have the aforementioned unfavorable issues which, again, is a good argument on behalf of the current 4:3 release. And just imagine all the new 16:9 fans in the future that will get excited to know that there is also a 4:3 version in HD revealing more picture content and better compositions.

My whole reasoning during this debate (I participated more actively last year and in other forums) had been and still is that we should ask CBS to do a later TNG widescreen as optimal as possible - and even if it's just for the reason that we may like it.

P.S. I don't think your remark about Gene Roddenberry is appropriate. If you seriously wish he hadn't been there, there would be no TNG to cherish and appreciate. But to him and other people content was, is and should be more important than the way it is "wrapped".
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote