View Single Post
Old September 5 2013, 07:05 PM   #102
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Re: Blu Rays Aspect Ratio Question

BillJ wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
You're arguing that that the show needs to be cropped/edited to fit a 16x9 format because future audiences will not tolerate watching it any other way. So if you do that then you've, effectively, "destroyed" the originals since now no one will watch the originals they'll watch these ones that "fill their screen" and meet their expectations. Sure the original versions will still "exist" but in an outdated format and likely in an outdated media with no player for them if we're talking about truly future generations.

If the only thing available to watch is this new format then, yeah, you've destroyed the originals because they no longer matter they might as well be destroyed.
I completely disagree.

So, do you think it was wrong of them to offer multiple audio tracks for home theater enthusiasts? Obviously, the original audio engineers didn't intend for their work to be heard in 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound. They built it to be heard by the available audio equipment of the day.
If putting the audio on a better track completely changed the way the show sounded I would agree. If it made it so you could now hear elements of production like the director yelling "cut!" or hear the plywood sets scraping on one another I would agree.

But that doesn't happen. It just sounds better is all. Just like putting it in HD it makes it look better.

Putting in widescreen would completely change the show, completely change the composition of shots, the framing and even reveal elements of production in the case of how TNG was filmed.

But, go ahead, compare apples and oranges.