View Single Post
Old September 5 2013, 03:09 AM   #78
Leto_II
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What do we know about the years between ST5 and ST6?

Praetor wrote: View Post
FWIW, DC's comic series of the 90s had them more or less on another five-year mission. Works for me.
Pretty much -- the starship is in continuous service from 2286 until the events of Star Trek VI, as depicted in the DC Comics run, with no real interruption of command-structure (Captain Kirk retains command throughout the comic series), and other non-DC comics likewise depict Kirk leading the starship on routine exploratory missions as late as 2292 (in the Wildstorm run).

Praetor wrote: View Post
I believe the original TUC script contained dialog more clearly suggesting (or at least intimating) that the crew was basically puttering around before standing down. I believe the thought that Uhura was teaching comes from her mentioning she's "supposed to be chairing a seminar." That of course doesn't explicitly mean she was teaching.
The PC game Starfleet Academy (released in 1997) actually expands further upon this notion -- in the live-action footage featuring Shatner, Takei, and Koenig, Sulu takes a temporary position away from the Enterprise-A as guest instructor at the Academy prior to his upcoming promotion to the captaincy.
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote