View Single Post
Old September 4 2013, 11:01 PM   #29
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Re: Thoughts on Season 2

At the end of "Deadlock" however, the ship is in shambles, the deck 15 breach had widened to encompass a part of deck 14, 632 micro-fractures are all over the hull, all primary systems are offline, the antimatter levels are at 18 percent and continuing to fall, the warp coils in both nacelles are fused and inoperative, and it's going to take them 3 days*just to be able to return to the bridge.*Sure repairs were "underway," but there is no way they could warp away immediately, they're very close to Vidiian space and the ship is effectively disabled. Again, they're very close to Vidiian space! So my expectations were that the next episode would deal with the dilemma of still trying to make a dent in the excessive repair list they're facing while trying to avoid the Vidiians, or perhaps encountering the Vidiians and running into some danger there, being forced to negotiate for some parts they need to make repairs, or*something*to pick up where they left off. There was potential for that at least. Instead, in the next episode they've conveniently gone beyond Vidiian space and the ship is already 100% tip top. So that's not a "reset" based on your definition (and that's fine, just forget the word "reset"), but it was just disappointing to me based on what the writers could have done based on where they were at the end of "Deadlock." There was so much potential for a really good continuation there. That's the difference for me. And as I have acknowledged, this happens in every Trek. I'm just expressing the simple disappointment I felt based on the potential in this case that was wasted in my view. I hope that at least clears up what was going through my head when I made my original post.
I'm not sure how specific this is to this one episode rather than emblematic of the series. For what it's worth, the episode left me with a notion about how Janeway started to see the ship as a community, and how much individual suffering she would accept in order to get everyone home. It's different from the notion in TNG that everyone is prepared to sacrifice themselves in the moment. Sorry if this seems abstract, but choosing one Voyager rather than fighting to the last allowed the preservation of her goals toward that community. I'm not sure that she stayed true thereto, as Seven effectively called her out when her I'm implants started to fail.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote