View Single Post
Old September 4 2013, 10:48 PM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Thoughts on Season 2

Lynx wrote: View Post
Season 2 is without doubt the best Voyager season and the best season of all Star Trek series.

Most of the episodes are excellent, the only episodes that isn't that good is "Threshold" and it is at least funny to watch if you imagine it as a nightmare Janeway had after eating too much of Neelix's food.

My favorite episodes are "Cold Fire", Persistence of Vision" and "Alliances".
Well, I think that's the first time I've ever heard that. Even from most who say Voyager is their favorite series. But whatever makes you happy.

Cold Fire... just struck me as unfulfilling... how they handled that plot point from Caretaker about a possible way home. Of course we know the answer to "Will they get home?" is always "No!" but it was disappointing how they handled Suspheria. Though Tanis saying "When Voyager appears, people fear death and destruction." was funny. I wish they would've left this encounter more open ended, especially since Suspheria apparently existed only in thought or something. It would've been neat if Kes had somehow kept her powers instead of the reset button being pushed there with her.

Persistence of Vision... I'd call that a fairly average episode. I really can't find much fault in it, though the Janeway British holonovel gets tiresome. I can't believe that was one of the first mini-arcs in Voyager. Other than that, the standard Jeri Taylor Janeway centered script. Though the shrinking doctor was funny.

Alliances? I liked this episode right up until the ending. One of the few episodes that went out of it's way to highlight the differences between the Maquis and Federation crews. Janeway's reaction to negotiating with Culluh, while definitely not endearing, was kinda funny. Sure she shouldn't have to put up with his crap like that, but it was clear she was just looking for any excuse for that alliance to fail. Distasteful as it may have been, Janeway really would've been better off if she let the Trabe kill off the Kazon leadership. But Janeway's willing to sacrifice everyone before turning any part of her ship over to the enemy, and we get the pat ending of Janeway pontificating how they should stick true to Federation values no matter what, and never ally themselves with the bad guy. Which is funny when