View Single Post
Old September 4 2013, 05:39 PM   #467
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Man, I had no idea the work schedule was so incredibly hectic on this show. It seems like they'd often finish one episode before noon and start up the next one immediately after lunch, with one director handing everything off to the next, like they were in a relay race or something.

Although I guess it makes sense given the incredibly tight budget they had to work with.

Still, considering how quickly the actors had to move from scene to scene, and from episode to episode, I can't help but be even more impressed with how strong and fluid the performances managed to be-- especially Shatner's, who seemingly had to convey a wide variety of reactions and emotions on very short notice.

It's also interesting to read about how difficult it was to pull off an episode like Balance of Terror, with Justman thinking they wouldn't possibly be able to afford it. Of course the episode is so stripped-down now that it doesn't seem like that big a deal, but it obviously took quite a lot of ingenuity to get it down to that point first (such as coming up with the cloaking device in order to cut down on the number of effects shots, and the helmets on the Romulans to cut down on the number of ear prosthetics).

Last edited by davejames; September 4 2013 at 06:00 PM.