View Single Post
Old September 4 2013, 12:26 PM   #26
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

I've got all the LUG and Decipher RPG books, and a good chunk of the FASA ones, but have never played. :-\

Always wanted to play RPGs when I was a kid, but never found anyone to teach me. Everyone assumed that because I was such a nerd, I already knew all the ins and outs and wanted me to DM/GM for them. The look of shock on their faces when I said I didn't even know how to play and would like to learn was so utterly disheartening, almost as much as when they said they didn't "have time to teach a noob."

Last year, though, a friend of mine got me into playing the old Star Wars d6 game with a group of his friends. I had a blast, although a rather disorganized GM and an extreme lack of focus sort of doomed the group after a while.

Tried D&D Encounters at the local game shop, but even though it's designed as an introduction for noobs, it was mainly experienced players who assumed I knew everything even though I said up front I didn't, and it wasn't the right atmosphere. If I want to do nothing but combat, I'll play HeroClix or an online game, thanks.

I want some storytelling, character-building, fun interaction out of a table-top RPG, and so far, I haven't found any local groups that are really compatible with that mindset yet.

Would love to do something with the FATE system, like The Dresden Files RPG, but again, getting a group together has been proving insanely difficult.