View Single Post
Old September 4 2013, 05:53 AM   #46
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: Was Roddenberry a Terrible Writer?

Your views on TV movies seem a little odd, but then again I guess you didn't see many of them first-run. In the 70s, the ABC TV movies of the week were programming you could count on to get at least two viewings of that first year, plus strip syndication on the afternoon movies locally well into the 80s and even the 90s.

Regardless of what you may think of the quality, they were very easily re-viewable, and many of them on VHS as well (just about all of the David Janssen ones seemed to turn up on VHS, and the best of those, BIRDS OF PREY, is even on DVD.) I saw THE QUESTOR TAPES at least 7 or 8 times on TV, though admittedly I hadn't seen it in the last 20 years, till I ponied up for the DVD recently (money well spent, just for John Vernon's character and some funky little fx work at the end.)

THE DAY AFTER has had much more of a shelf life than most MOW, and has been available on DVD for cheap for a very long while. I don't think that makes it a matter of luck though. I would be very happy if SPECIAL BULLETIN were remastered (or even rediscovered), but since it was originated on video, it probably has degenerated massively by now.

As for your newest spin on the use of the word hack, I refer you back to the post that started all this back and forth and the words you surrounded 'hack' with, all loaded together to present a decidedly negative view of Meyer. Saying you find Stephen King a talented hack is just confusing the issue, not diffusing it, and certainly not shedding any useable light on it.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote