View Single Post
Old September 4 2013, 04:13 AM   #40
Christopher
Writer

Re: Was Roddenberry a Terrible Writer?

^People can be poorly remembered without being "hacks." A hack is someone who lacks talent, and while I don't care for Meyer's interpretation of Star Trek, I would never accuse him of being untalented. In fact, I rather like most of his non-Trek work that I've seen.

As for "just TV movies," I have to wonder if you're old enough to remember The Day After. That was more than just a TV movie. At the time, it was intensely controversial and provocative. For many people, it was the first time they'd been exposed to the horrific details of what a nuclear holocaust and its aftermath would be like. It was all over the news for weeks, our teachers talked to us about it in school... it was the television event of the decade, at the very least. Heck, my father didn't even want me to watch it, because he thought my 17-year-old mind would be too emotionally fragile to handle the horrors. I had to reason with him extensively to convince him to let me watch. Turns out it didn't shock me much at all because I'd already read books like Hiroshima and The Fate of the Earth and Cosmos and knew the dangers and consequences of nuclear war already. But for a lot of the nation, it was stunning and revelatory. No TV movie in history has been less "just a TV movie" than that one.

So if people remember Meyer more for TWOK today, that's only because nuclear war now seems like an obsolete issue. Also it was a harrowing and uncompromising film, not exactly something one would want to seek out for repeat viewings. But by all rights, if history remembers Meyer for any single film, it absolutely should be The Day After.