View Single Post
Old September 3 2013, 11:24 PM   #65
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Re: Blu Rays Aspect Ratio Question

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
No offense, but the series wasn't made for a 4:3 aspect ratio but for 4:3 tube television sets (with overscan, I constantly need to add). This is a subtle but crucial difference, IMHO, that too often gets forgotten (and Star Trek is about the art of entertainment and not the art of cinematography).
Taking the last part of what you said first, I think the cinematographers who worked on Star Trek over the roughly five decades that it's been around would disagree with you. Part of its entertainment value is due to the work of those artists and it shouldn't be downplayed or diminished. Just my opinion, but there you go.

As for the first part, the display device that TNG was intended for and the existence of overscan doesn't really change anything. Film projection also has a difference between camera aperture (bigger area) and projection aperture (smaller area). These tolerances exists for exactly the same reason, whether it's a television set in the home or a theater screen in a cinema.

The way I see it it's the difference of watching an image with excessive overhead and bottom space (4:3) on a display device (16:9) it was never meant for.
I wouldn't necessarily call 5% extra image all around excessive. And I think CBS made the right choice in remastering the show with the TV Trans area for three key reasons:
  1. It matches the transmission area that was broadcast from 1987-1994.
  2. It matches the image area that was presented on DVD starting in 2002.
  3. It prevents overcropping on the majority of flat screens today that ship with overscan turned on by default.
How would the TNG directors shoot the series in widescreen assuming they theoretically could travel back in time?

Looking at the 21:9 widescreen footage of Generations I'd dare to say that for example the bridge scenes in TNG would be trimmed not only to fit a 16:9 widescreen but also to look much better.

But obviously that's something we should discuss in the future - once a tasteful 16:9 version of TNG is made available for evaluation and examination.

Bob
If CBS didn't produce a "tasteful 16:9 version" of TOS-R -- that is, meticulously re-frame every live-action shot for widescreen -- I wouldn't expect them to do the same for TNG.