View Single Post
Old September 3 2013, 09:26 PM   #61
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Blu Rays Aspect Ratio Question

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I don't think fan input had anything to do with it. The series was made for 4:3 aspect ratio, and they want to make as few changes as possible.
No offense, but the series wasn't made for a 4:3 aspect ratio but for 4:3 tube television sets (with overscan, I constantly need to add).
This is a subtle but crucial difference, IMHO, that too often gets forgotten (and Star Trek is about the art of entertainment and not the art of cinematography).

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
It's not just the difference between fan preferences; it's the difference between seeing all of the picture or not seeing all of the picture.
The way I see it it's the difference of watching an image with excessive overhead and bottom space (4:3) on a display device (16:9) it was never meant for.

How would the TNG directors shoot the series in widescreen assuming they theoretically could travel back in time?

Looking at the 21:9 widescreen footage of Generations I'd dare to say that for example the bridge scenes in TNG would be trimmed not only to fit a 16:9 widescreen but also to look much better.

But obviously that's something we should discuss in the future - once a tasteful 16:9 version of TNG is made available for evaluation and examination.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote