View Single Post
Old September 3 2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Re: STAR TREK the enemy of LOST IN SPACE?

davejames wrote: View Post
I hate to admit it, but as a kid in the 60s I have a feeling I'd probably love LIS a lot more than Trek....

Star Trek might have seemed a little too... dull and serious for my sensibilities at the time, I think.
Well, that's just it. LiS was made for children, like pretty much all SFTV at the time except for The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. There was plenty of adult science fiction in prose, and there'd been a few smart, sophisticated SF movies like The Day The Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet and It Came From Outer Space, but for the most part, science fiction onscreen was stereotyped and stigmatized as kid stuff. Star Trek was exceptional because it was the first non-anthology SFTV series that was made for adult audiences, that was approached with the same maturity and naturalism as the adult Westerns or cop shows or courtroom dramas of the time. The series bible cited classy, sophisticated dramas like Gunsmoke and Naked City as exemplars for the level of writing he wanted it to have.

There's nothing wrong with a show being aimed at children, of course. The problem is that at the time, it was assumed that science fiction could never be anything else. And Star Trek was the show that defied that stereotype and pioneered the maturation of SFTV. Although we still got a lot of goofy kid stuff for decades thereafter.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote