View Single Post
Old September 3 2013, 11:57 AM   #80
Timo
Admiral

Re: General order 24, were Kir kand Scotty bluffing?

If the nutjob next door tells you "I will kill anyone who treads on my grass" and your two teenage sons ride their bikes on his grass just to irritate him, has he the right to kill them? I mean after all he's warned them and you.
Certain courts have famously judged "yes" to the above. OTOH, I'm not aware of any court judging in favor of an armed intruder who uses his weapons in "self-defense" against the property holder.

Look Balok and the Gorns just fired on the Enterprise and Federation outposts without discussing it with anyone.
...That is, they shot at trespassers. The Eminians took steps to ensure they didn't; and even the Vendikans apparently didn't target the Enterprise specifically - she just got in the way. So they were a bit more civilized than Balok and the Gorn in this respect, from a certain point of view. But if shooting at trespassers is the universal standard, then heavily armed and aggressive trespassing will soon become standard as well, and for Starfleet this appears to already have happened...

In the end the Federation may have accepted that they weren't reall wanted near Eminiar or Vendikar but for all we know the Vendikarians were keen to speak to the Federation
OTOH, it was the Vendikans who killed the starship! Fully knowing that the fake kill would result in the very real deaths of the crew or an interstellar incident probably amounting to annihilation, one would surmise. So did they do it on purpose after all? If there was intent behind it, then this sort of disproves any intent to open a dialogue and deal peacefully with the UFP, I guess.

Kirk does the same thing in "Spectre of the Gun". The Melkotian warning buoy says this is our place, leave now, we're not going to tell you again. But Kirk has orders to establish contact and heads further in.
Perhaps it's significant that in both "Armageddon" and "Spectre", the culture the Feds want to forcibly approach is not a first contact situation by a long shot - it's a case of the culture having long resisted any approaches, and the Feds having decided they want to change the state of affairs. There's no room there for Kirk's own snap judgements in whether to approach or not, and nothing surprising about the obstacles to approach.

In contrast, "Corbomite" suggests there are standing orders there to defy such obstacles: Kirk doesn't know there's a First Federation there, isn't aware of do-not-approach signs in advance, and still presses on when encountering those.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote