View Single Post
Old September 3 2013, 02:20 AM   #15
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Re: How exactly did Clara "save" the Doctor.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I'm trying to ascertain how exactly Clara was able to right every wrong the GI imposed on the Doctor's timeline upon entering it. It's easy to digest the GI corrupting the Doctor's timeline with his vast knowledge and previous history with the Doctor spanning back to the Doctor's 2nd incarnation. All we see Clara do is walk into the Doctor's timestream and somehow that miraculously fixes everything.
How did flying the Pandorica into the burning TARDIS cause the Doctor to close the cracks in the universe? Clara saving the Doctor throughout his timeline is the same problem. We see characters do something, we're told that what they do is important, but we don't understand how what they do achieves what we're told. It's the way Moffat's Who works -- it's magic. *shrug*
He's not exactly alone in that though, is he?

"Well we'll twiddle some knobs and all the Daleks will dance around and explode..."

AllStarEntprise, you realise of course that the producers of the TV show were restricted to clips of actual episodes, they couldn't really film any new footage short of using people dressed as the doctor but not seen full frontal (oor er missus) which isn't as effective.

It's a TV show, they worked with what they had

With the Pandorica 'fixing' the universe, I can swallow that because of exposition in the episode explains that the light from the Pandorica can restore things. Also that the Pandorica has a copy of what the universe was before the TARDIS exploding all across space and time destroyed it. I admit it's a stretch but I buy it.

With regards to "Journey's End" and the control panel for every Dalek making them spin around, lose weapons and ultimately explode. I think we the audience are supposed to take it for what it is. An implausible solution to an impossible situation. If the Daleks and Davros were stupid enough to build a device that implausible, you can be surprised the Doctor's and DoctorDonna used it to destroy the millions of Daleks in such an implausible way.

I have no problem with Clara being superimposed in to scenes of past episodes. My issue is what effect does her presence contribute to those situations. If the episodes/adventures can work without Clara's contributions then why show her in them?

I realize Doctor Who does not play by the strictest rule set when it comes to the mechanics of the show and how things work in it's universe. The rules are constantly written and rewritten in the show, from era to era and showrunner to showrunner. Such as the Jonathan Nathan Turner, Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat all ran the show differently with different rules set in-universe. You really are not suppose to question things, and if you tried to create a linear explanation for every single event in Doctor Who you would go mad. I would just like for there to be a little bit more clarity when the show is being vague about a colossal event.

Last edited by M.A.C.O.; September 3 2013 at 02:35 AM.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote