View Single Post
Old September 3 2013, 01:31 AM   #342
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Kirk the Jerk wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Star Trek has been rehashing plots since season one of TOS. TMP was a rehash of "The Changeling". TWOK brought back a villain from TOS. TVH was a time travel story reminiscent of at least three TOS episodes. TNG and show that followed mixed and matched TOS characters. The Next Generation films desperately tried to duplicate the success of TWOK and TVH.

There was a kot of story in both of Abrams films. If someone can't see the story through the "explosions" I think the problem might lie with them.
I think you miss the point completely, it may have used similar plots in the past for episodes but we were still learning about the characters, a back story etc.

I can assure you there is no problem with me, I know what I'm watching, if you read my previous post you'd realise I said Abrams Star Trek 'could' have worked if it wasn't for Into Darkness, so mentioning 'both films' is irrelevant. Into Darkness offered us nothing new, I learnt nothing new. That is my point. Apart from Kirk 'dying' of radiation rather than Spock, it was just ooh big explosion and ohh more CGI.

You tell me where the new story is?
Yes, I can. Don't mistake using the same characters and similar situations as being "nothing new". Khan was used in a different way than in Space Seed or TWOK. Carol is used differently as well. Kirk isn't an aging officer who feels ready to be put out to pasture. Khan was play much more sympathetically than in the previous outings. So yes, the movie played differently than TWOK.

We're still learning about these characters too, only we have nearly fifty year of seeing them in their previous incarnations.

I don't care if you mentioned the previous film or not. My comment was directed at more than just you.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote