View Single Post
Old September 2 2013, 09:05 PM   #43
The Caretaker
Lieutenant

Re: Blu Rays Aspect Ratio Question

Dream wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
otomo wrote: View Post
One question still unanswered: Was DS9 shot differently, or VOY? If they were shot the same then I hope they do keep it the same.
I do not recall exactly but IIRC beginning with the 4th season of DS9 (and the 5th of VOY) they started to protect for later 16:9 extraction, i.e. they shot in 4:3 but had a mask inside the viewfinder with a 16:9 frame.
You are wrong. DS9 and VOY were never shot in widescreen. This has been talked about endlessly.
I remember reading years ago (1996?) an interview with a DS9 director in Star Trek Monthly where he stated that they had to frame the image in widescreen. That made me very hopeful that the DVDs would be released in 16:9 but clearly that never happened. I'm all for watching programmes in the aspect ratio they were produced in and I always watch shows in 4:3 setting on my TV where needed (I hate things being stretched sideways). It would be different though if DS9 had been produced in 16:9 but then never aired that way. Who knows. Personally I find it very odd that Voyager especially was still being produced in 4:3 in 2001 when the industry as a whole seemed to have moved on to 16:9 around 1998. Were the Trek producers just stubborn? lol

Converting shows to 16:9 'on the cheap' can have awful consequences. The Babylon 5 DVDs are proof of that; the CGI space scenes are passable but whenever there is CGI in a live action shot it is very telling when the top halves of everyone's heads are missing. If a show is to be upgraded it has to be done perfectly or else it just ends up distracting.
The Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote