Thread: 2014 in Film
View Single Post
Old September 2 2013, 07:19 PM   #36
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: 2014 in Film

I'm most looking forward to X-Men: Days of Future Past, Interstellar, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which should really be called The Spectacular Spider-Man or something), Noah and Transcendence.

Honestly, 2014 doesn't seem like it has that impressive of a line-up (at least not compared to 2015). However, I hope next year is a lot better than this year, in which I was disappointed by almost every major release (Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, Man of Steel). I am excited about 2014 because it features three of my favorite directors (Bryan Singer, Christopher Nolan and Darren Aronofsky) with movies coming out, and not just that, but each director is returning to something he loves - Singer is returning to X-Men, Nolan is returning to sci-fi/original storytelling and Aronosfky is doing a passion piece that he's been wanting to do for a while. I can't tell you how elated I am for Days of Future Past. So excited for that one.

As for the rest, the buzz for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has been promising so far. I'm glad the origins are out of the way, and hopefully that means Marc Webb has free reign to tell a good story this time around. The fact that they ditched digital for film, have an incredible supporting cast (Jamie Foxx, Paul Giamatti, Chris Cooper, Dane DeHaan) and seem to realize the mistakes of the last film instill me with some confidence. I'm not completely sold, but I'm cautiously excited. With Transcendence, I'm excited for Wally Pfister's directorial debut. Plus it is sci-fi, with Johnny Depp, so it should be interesting.

I am curious about Captain America: The Winter Soldier (if anything for the modern setting and the political thriller twist), Guardians of the Galaxy (if anything because I think James Gunn is going to deliver something truly special), Tomorrowland (I mean, it is Brad Bird after all) and Jupiter Ascending. I know some friends who are working on the film here in Chicago and they have been saying some awesome things about it, so I'm really curious/excited. Especially after Cloud Atlas, which has to be one of my favorite sci-fi films of the past couple years.