View Single Post
Old September 2 2013, 02:43 PM   #85
austen_pierce
Captain

Re: The curse of even Trek Films and the reboot - thought

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Kirk deserved better. Yes, he dies alone, but there is zero sense of mourning. Just another day at the office for Picard.
BillJ wrote: View Post

But why would Picard mourn him? He didn't know Kirk any better than a random redshirt (Kirk is my favorite character). What confused me was that they didn't seem to give a shit that the Enterprise was destroyed.
Kirk's dead, the Enterprise itself is gone... and Picard and Riker crack a couple jokes. It's amazing.
Sounds like the end of a number of TOS episodes. Ofcourse that was the 60's and tv was different then.
At the end of Balance of Terror Kirk mourns with a junior female officer at the loss of her fiance, a junior weapons officer. Kirk had been in the process of marrying them when the episode began. I understand that this is an exception to the red-shirt rule, in which Kirk willl deliver a few testy lines "a member of my crew is dead!" before moving on, but it's worth noting in context of Picard 'thank you very much, moving on' attitude at the end of Generations.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote