Thread: Ancient Aliens
View Single Post
Old September 2 2013, 11:52 AM   #616
Metryq
Captain

Re: Ancient Aliens

RAMA wrote: View Post
Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Just make sure our probes don't collide with anybody else's.

Not likely, if there's so much space between stars and objects that a galaxy collision won't produce collisions, I doubt a few trillion swarming bots will either.
From THE MAKING OF KUBRICK'S 2001 by Jerome Agel:

Thousands of color still photographs were taken in primordial-looking southwest Africa for use in M-G-M's Boreham Wood studio near London. (In the middle of Absolutely Nowhere, Africa, the 2001 car ran into an oncoming truck and two of the photographers were injured.)
People are often surprised to run into someone they know while visiting a distant city. The "coincidence" is really not all that surprising when one considers the tiny portion of the Earth's surface that is land. One can further reduce the "randomness" of the event because people move in fixed areas, like cities, and the people involved probably have common interests that narrow their movements, etc.

So while the universe is very large -- a star system is also very large -- the odds of two biosphere probes running into each other is thus reduced. Besides, Nomad did not collide with the alien probe. Nomad was damaged by a meteoroid and later found by the alien probe. Nomad was probably still within the system where it was damaged when the alien probe found it.