View Single Post
Old September 2 2013, 10:42 AM   #174
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

Unicron wrote: View Post
Spock was referred to early on as a "Vulcanian" and this was soon shortened to "Vulcan" and has been consistently used ever since. Kirk's middle initial is given as R in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and then became T.
Admittedly, some birth pangs in the creation of the show, but seriously nothing worth to write home or rant about, IMHO.

I think Timo and Praetor are right that the production staff put a lot of thought and creativity into the series, that they definitely had some concepts they wanted to use, but they were also flexible enough to change things as needed.
I concur. But that can't possibly be the standard excuse not to make an effort to figure out what they had actually established by the end of TOS (and whether or not that truly contradicts something mentioned earlier).

That's not the same as arguing that they were clueless and didn't know what they were doing. Nobody here has made or inferred that claim, aside from you.
"The creators of the show never cared and thus never knew", the one thing for which there is rock-solid evidence.” made by somebody "here" in the parallel thread and a recurring theme of ingratitude in several posts and threads throughout the BBS (and the major reason why I joined the BBS in the first place).

Maybe many fans simply liked the effort that FJ put into it and his attempts to make the deck plans sensible, even if they didn't match perfectly with what's onscreen.
There is nothing wrong with appreciating an effort, but there is something seriously wrong when a conjectural and retroactive (i.e. after TOS) effort gets an erroneous canonical status and as a consequence of that makes the original creators look like they didn't care or knew. This is my major issue and criticism of the intoxicating effects of FJ's work in general (but I don't believe it was a deliberate act of FJ).

That's the second time you mention that his work "didn't match perfectly with what's onscreen" which I feel to be a vast exaggeration (no offense) when in fact it's vastly incompatible with what's onscreen.
The only thing that comes close to a perfect match is the command bridge. Already the shuttlebay is only an approximation of the real thing (there...are...two...lights in the observation corridors) and they never walked into any engine room just by exiting a turbo lift.

Bob

@ Avro Arrow

Many thanks for compiling the list, and I learned something new today. But I feel ENT and that other thing to take place in an alternate universe and feel myself incapable of retroactively applying any of this to TOS or the subsequent series. This is one of the reasons.

And a paraphrase of Picard that sums it up: "I will not sacrifice the integrity of TOS. We've made too many compromises already. Too many retreats. They invade our continuity and we fall back. They assimilate the entire canon, and we fall back. Not again! The line must be drawn here, ...this far, no further!"

Maybe Praetor would like to add his paraphrase which fits in the context?

Last edited by Robert Comsol; September 2 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote