Thread: Power Rangers
View Single Post
Old September 2 2013, 09:55 AM   #833
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Re: Power Rangers

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I disagree (and not just because I'm okay with what we were given)

Amit's ideas read like bad fanfiction; they also don't fit what the PR franchise IS.
I agree, it seemed to be good when I first read it but it's really not. The Keiji character is pretty bad, why does he become a villain, because some chick tells him it's his destiny? And in the end he's like "Whoops, sorry for trying to murder you, I'm nice again!"? That's just awful.
The reason for replacing the red ranger is dumb, he has risked his life for months and fought for good after being trained for it his entire life ... but he's descended from the enemy and that's more important than his personality, actions and dedication to our cause, he's fired!

While I like that he tried to have an international cast he forgot to have someone from Japan! No, the red ranger doesn't count, he's american, if ancestry mattered you wouldn't need a ranger from Nigeria for example, he could just be african american.
So after the villains were deafeated 200 years ago the families spread out over the world (very unlikely if you know a little bit about Japan in that period) but no one stayed in Japan or even Asia? Two go to europe, one to Africa and THREE to Mexico? How does that make sense? Even if you argue that the PR version of California was already part of the US in the early 19th century, that's still awfully close geographically. Half of the families move to the same corner of the world why exactly?

I don't understand why these kids have to be the first Samurai Rangers, why couldn't their ancestors have ranger powers? Even in this proposed version they use magic, so what's the big deal, the powers could have worked in the 19th century just as well (we even have a precedent for that, remember Wild West Rangers?).

Why did the Bulkmeyers forget their duty? The real world answer is because Bulk as he had been portrayed was clearly not part of a family that trained him to be a monster fighting Samurai but what's the in story reason? Especially because two other families lived nearby, one just one city away, they didn't stay in contact?
Why do the parents have to tell the other rangers about their destiny right before the battle starts? Look at Iris for example, she apparently learned Kanji and to use their magic or the teleportation wouldn't have worked like in Bulk's case but her parents never mentioned the reason and she never asked why rocks appear if she draws the kanji for rocks? She doesn't even know they have japanese ancestry ... how is that possible, she never questioned why she's learning japanese magic?

Then there are completely unnecessary changes like the villains' castle, why not just keep the boat?

The proposal isn't even that different from what we got, it's basically Shinkenger with a new hat and scarf. Everyone can take an existing sentai and say "My show is almost exactly like that, except for this and that", fans do it all the time. Except in this case most changes aren't very good or logical.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote