View Single Post
Old September 2 2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: That added touch of detail...

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Although I never really thought about it before this thread, I like how they showed what the crew does in their spare time, especially during the first season. For example, Sulu being a hobby botanist, Uhura singing, the use of the gym and the rec room(s) and so on. That added a touch of realism IMO, since these people live on the Enterprise, they donīt just work there.
Exactly! At the very beginning we saw crew members out of their uniforms in "The Cage", "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (Briefing Lounge scene) and "The Corbomite Maneuver" (Kirk).

Then, the idea got somehow sidetracked but made a return in Season 3 with a female crew member taking a sunbath - unfortunately and exclusively in the deleted Rec Room Scene from "Elaan of Troyius".

And another thing, already mentioned, is the use of invisible beams outside the visual spectrum.

I think the engineering trident device is a nice testament to that: Scotty used it apparently in "The Doomsday Machine" to repair the Constellation's impulse engines and in "The Ultimate Computer" it was used to establish the power link between the ship's power banks and the M-5.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote