View Single Post
Old September 2 2013, 12:12 AM   #74
Christopher
Writer

Re: 12 Monkeys pilot greenlit by Syfy

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
The point is that just because the character was told time travel was impossible, that doesn't absolutely have to mean that it's impossible. Sometimes characters in a story, even scientists, are wrong about how things work.
But that doesn't address what I was talking about, which was what the time travelers' objectives would be: Information gathering, which they thought would be of benefit, or history changing, which they did not.
I think we're talking about two different things. Since you're speaking in the past tense, I imagine you're talking about how the movie was done. But I'm talking about the possibilities for a TV adaptation/continuation. Since it would work better in an ongoing series to have at least the possibility that the future could be altered, it would be possible to retcon or reinvent the movie's time-travel rules to fit that narrative need. If it were a reboot continuity, they could just change the time-travel rules outright; and if it purported to be an in-continuity sequel or prequel to the film, then the idea could be introduced that the scientists' knowledge of how time travel worked was incomplete or flawed. Either way, the series would not be constrained by what the movie asserted, which is my point.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote