View Single Post
Old September 1 2013, 11:45 PM   #90
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Psion wrote: View Post
However ...

About halfway through the final season's fourth episode, it suddenly occurred to me that Ezri should have been a man. It isn't just rebirth in a new host that makes the Trill symbionts interesting, they can also change sex. This was explored a bit in the Next Gen episode, "The Host", and Dr. Crusher wasn't able to keep up with it.

I'd go even further. If we're gonna explore this, let's drop all pretence of metaphor and just make the Ezri host homosexual. Or at least open to the feelings he recently had for Worf and/or Julian. In the 90s, homosexuality was still a bit taboo, and contrasting this with the Trill taboo of continuing the relationships of the previous host would be neat. Watching Worf and Julian react to that would have been fascinating. He wouldn't have to be over-the-top. Perhaps he wouldn't even have to be overtly homosexual. But he'd still have to resolve his feelings for Worf.

It's interesting that the talented crew behind DS9 missed this opportunity. Especially given the hints at lesbian relationships in several episodes. I'm sure this must have occurred to someone, but I wonder why they shot it down.
I absolutely agree. I really liked Ezri, more than I liked Jadzia, but Jadzia's successor should have been male. There's just too much dramatic potential in that idea. However, while DS9 was fairly edgy for a 1990s Star Trek show, it still played it pretty safe more often than not. And if the new Dax had been male, then Nana Visitor would have been the only female regular on the show. That probably played a part in it, too.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote