View Single Post
Old September 1 2013, 11:29 PM   #44
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Spoilers in Books: A Discussion.

Christopher wrote: View Post
The problem is the phrase "I shouldn't have to concern myself." We all should try to concern ourselves with other people's feelings. No, we shouldn't bend over backward to accommodate rabid spoilerphobes, but we shouldn't be completely inconsiderate about it either. Just because some reactions are unreasonable, that's no excuse to say "I'll act however I want and everyone else better stay out of my way."
Oh, no. I'm not going to worry about other people's feelings when they are absolutely out of my control. No matter what we do, someone will feel something somewhere between irked and boiling mad, depending on their attitude, not mine. If I have to stop and think every time I post whether this or that tidbit will "spoil" something for someone, I'm not going to post anything interesting or with substance outside of a spoiler code. And if everything would have to be spoiler coded, then nothing is really spoiler coded.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Is that data real enough for you?
It's a start. Thank you for your input. Based on the data you provided, what is your interpretation for a best-practice with regards to spoiler coding?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
But you don't want spoilers after the book's release. How does one read defensively if this place is littered with uncoded spoilers, both deliberate and accidental?
Sran wrote: View Post
By avoiding the message board in question altogether.
Yup. If you're afraid of spoilers, you do what you need to in order to avoid them. Including avoiding the literature forum until you've read the material you want unspoiled. Is it that hard?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote