View Single Post
Old September 1 2013, 08:55 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

Re: Spoilers in Books: A Discussion.

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I'll admit I'm not a fan of the mystery genre. I will watch them on television, but usually only once. The entire genre relies too much on the plot revelation of "whodunnit".
That's your opinion. It doesn't entitle you to dismiss the validity of other people's tastes or preferences.

Still, my original position stands. The concept of what constitutes "spoilers" has grown out of control, now encompassing any information about any detail of any story that anyone hasn't learned yet. It's ridiculous. If you don't like being spoiled, fine, but that means it's on you (the general you, not you specifically Christopher) to avoid the spoilers, not on me to help you do so.
I agree that many people take spoilerphobia to an unhealthy extreme, but your attitude strikes me as just as unhealthy an extreme in the opposite direction, an attitude of sheer contempt for the feelings of people who don't agree 100 percent with your tastes. As with most things in life, the best approach is to strike a balance between the extremes. Yes, there is certainly such a thing as an unreasonable fear of spoilers, such as not even wanting to know what actors are in a movie or what the title of an upcoming episode is; but there is also a reasonable fear of spoilers, such as not wanting to know in advance what the big secret of a story is, wanting to be allowed the opportunity to discover it with the characters. And no, that doesn't mean the story is worthless without the secret; it means that a good story can be enjoyed on multiple levels, and can be experienced in different ways on different viewings. You can experience the satisfaction of a shocking surprise on the first viewing and then enjoy the other virtues of the story on subsequent viewings. Sometimes, as with a movie like The Sixth Sense, it can be desirable to see it twice, not knowing the secret the first time and knowing the secret the second, because the second time around you can see the hidden meanings and clues you missed before.

And yes, yes, maybe you personally don't enjoy that, but what does that have to do with other people's right to enjoy stories in that way if that's their choice? You don't have to share a view to respect it. You just have to have basic consideration toward other people.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote