View Single Post
Old September 1 2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Lance
Commodore

Re: Blu Rays Aspect Ratio Question

otomo wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It was originally shot to be 4:3 if they did 16:9 they'd either have to do one of two things:

1. Simply use a wider film exposure. However, this may reveal crew, equipment, and other elements of production just off camera.

2. Crop the picture. This would remove elements from the top/bottom of the picture which would alter the original episode and director's intent for the scene.

The show was show shot to be seen on a 4:3 screen and that's the way we should watch it. People need to stop this obsession with "filling their screen" with a picture.

Ahh, so I'm guessing that Seinfeld was shot with a different framing in mind then?

I don't mind that it's shot that way, but I was under the impression that it was shot on film and therefore it could translate. Deep Space 9 was shot differently?
It was shot on film, but the shots were framed for 4:3. Therefore off to either side of every shot the directors were not bothered about whether parts of the set were undressed, or a lighting rig was visible, because the only part of the film that would actually be seen on screen would be the 'center' part of the shot. So yes, 16:9 versions could be done, but every shot would have elements to the left and right of it that break the illusion of the episode.

Check out this screencap, which shows a full exposed film frame as shot for Lonely Among Us:

http://scifanatic.wpengine.netdna-cd...extras_003.jpg

Notice all those lighting rigs and other material on the sides of the shot? That's the reason they can't do it in 16:9. The only section the directors actually framed the shots for was the bit in the middle, which was all you'd see on a 4:3 aspect television. Hence, even on blu ray, the black bars down the sides are necessary to maintain the illusion, as well as to keep the shots as they were originally intended to be seen.

DS9 was not shot differently and therefore would likely also be in 4:3 (black bars down the sides).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote