View Single Post
Old August 31 2013, 12:21 AM   #319
kirk55555
Commodore

Re: Dune - The Book and the 1984 film *spoilers for both*

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Yes, because all star wars books are about random jedi/x-wong battles

Star wars novels have created a lot of characters never in the movies that are some of my favorites in any media, and some of my favorite books ever. If i was alone on a desert island and could only take one book series, it would be the Star Wars: Republic Commando books, even over the Dune series and LOTR. Thats not saying I think its a higher quality neccesarily, but if I ever had to list my favorite books, with my favorite characters, SW: RC is on the short list (which also has LOTR and Dune). Including stuff by Timothy Zahn or Michael Stackpole/Aaron Allston's X-Wing series, a lot of my favorite novels are Star wars, and I'll defend them against all book snobs

I honestly don't want to argue about this. I'm fine with people looking down on Star wars books. I know I'd rather read a Karen traviss or timothy Zahn Star Wars book over any of the snobby "classics", so I get it from the other perspective. I can't (and won't) argue the signifigance of people like asimov, Clarke and Bradbury. At the same time, I'd personally put my favorite SW authors over any of them when it comes to what I think makes an entertaining read. I don't want to read sci fi novels about random robots and their three laws (which I thought were extremely stupid, but thats just coming from the I, Robot movie, maybe they're better thought out/less stupid in writing) or books about some guy inventing BS "psychohistory" (I half thought the Foundation wikipedia page was a joke when I just looked it up, I don't think I could invent a less interesting concept for a book if I tried). I don't read sci fi to read about stuff like that. I like interesting characters, and I somehow doubt characters matter much in a collection of short stories like I, Robot, or in stuff like the story of a man, an evil AI, and for some reason both monkies and space fetuses (which may have just been on the movie version, but like I said, when I think of snobby sci fi, I think of 2001). I'm not saying those aren't classics or that they're bad, I'd just take the worst Star wars book over them any day of the week.
Listen.. i love the Star Wars books for what they are, i have started with the Zahn Thrawn trilogy back when they were originally released up to the multi-book New Jedi Order series which was awesome in its scope.

However what irks me the most in your postings is the constant referral to "snobby books" which in turn makes you sort of a snob too. You constantly deride old classics by putting them down without ever having actually read any of them to form a grounded opinion. You get so defensive because you like your Star Wars and Star Trek books and assume that everybody who's a fan of classics automatically thinks less of you because you like those books.

Try to keep an open mind and maybe invest a week or so to read one of those snobby books.. it might change your mind.

I get a bit defensive, but to be fair a lot of people are pretty harsh on the SW/ST books. As for the "snobs" comments, I'm not trying to insult people. I've never said the classics were bad, just that they don't interest me at all. But, when people start talking about how SW/ST books are just generic action (which is wrong 90% of the time) and how a bunch of authors older than my parents are the better writers because....they're old, I guess, it gets on my nerves. I'm fine with people liking what they like, I just happen to not have any desire to waste my time reading books from authors I know never wrote stuff I would like, and being an old sci fi author does not automatically make the perosn's work awesome or something everyone would want to read. Its like I said, 2001 A space Odessey is my benchmark. It was super long, slow, and nonsensical. Its also considered a masterpiece. It seems to be a representative of those kinds of books/sci fi stories of that era, and I have no desire to read anything remotely like that movie.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
I am begining to get the impression that to science-fiction fans below a certain age nothing exists unless it is on TV, a movie, a video/computer game, or adapted from one of those things. The whole literary side of the genre seems to be fading into obscurity. I hope I am wrong about this.

I'm young by this forum's standards, and I care much more about literature than I do almost anything else. I'm a writer, and have been working on my first novel all summer. In my off-time, I've been reading the works of Robert A Heinlein, who has become my favourite author.

Movie science-fiction is by and large terrible. I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but most of the films are mediocre at best.

Well, the Abrams movies are terrible, but ST 2, 6, First Contact, 3, and 4 are pretty good (in that order, and ST II is my favorite movie ever).
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote