View Single Post
Old August 30 2013, 10:53 PM   #309
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Dune - The Book and the 1984 film *spoilers for both*

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
The mini series was amazing from beginning to end, and did absolutely everything, from writing to acting to effects, better than the movie.
I think the miniseries has the better script, though that's only because it has more time. Absolutely everything else is better in the Lynch movie though. Direction, cinematography, effects, music, costumes, atmosphere, set design.. all of it.

WTF!

WTF!

WTF!

WTF!

Authors like Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, Issac Asimov, etc are all authors I'm sure were good for their time but I wouldn't read anything they did unless I had no choice.
Given how reading has falling out amongst the developed world, I'm sure it's a shared sentiment somewhere. He is just articulating the sentiment that a movie or tv show with a strong video equivalent delivers the same stimulation as a book would, but with less time consumption.

I actually love to read. I read a lot, I don't know how my dislike of older styles of writing = not a reader, but I am an avid reader, I just have my likes and dislikes. Right now I'm going through a Dune series reread, this time in chronological order of the books (minus the Butlerian jihad books or the Bene Gesserit ancient history book) and i'm up to The Winds of Dune. I prefer sci fi and fantasy books, and specific non fiction (a lot of maritime non fiction, stuff like naval warfare and history).

Now, i don't read many "snobby" books (I'm a huge fan of star trek and especially Star wars novels, and i'll defend most of them as well thought out books and not just mindless action stuff that some people label them) but even though I'm not a fan of most "classic" sci fi/fantasy books I do read a good amount of books. Its rare for me to go outside specific franchises anymore, but I do sometimes and it usually works out. That said, I'll try out a lot of modern stuff, but if its a sci fi/fantasy book pre 80's, I'm probably not going to read it. I just don't like how most books were written before then.

Thats nothing against old authors, I just find the prospect of reading an Arthur C. Clarke or Issac asimov novel to be very unappealing. Their sci fi is old school stuff, its not what I want. A good example of that, to me, is the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. I know its a popular book/movie, but the movie bored me to tears (and really confused me outside of the man vs. evil AI story, but even that wasn't too interesting). Since thats so popular, and its what I consider to be old school sci fi, I'm pretty sure almost all the sci fi around that time and before is just not for me. I'm not saying stuff like that is bad, just that its not something I enjoy. All sci fi is obviously not alike, but when I think of older sci fi novels and writers, I think of 2001 and have no desire to read any of it.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I'm genuinely too poor to afford video game consoles so reading is my main form of escapism from this dystopian world. The classic science-fiction authors are my favourites, so I feel protective of them. Wonder what he thinks about Heinlein?

I enjoy video games (and i don't have much money, I got a PS3 because of an influx of money from relatives when I graduated High School several years ago) but I can understand noty being able to afford that stuff. Still, even though I enjoy that, I still enjoy reading as much as I like video games or television/movies.

Also, in case it was directed at me, I've never heard of Heinlein. I had to look him up on wikipedia (I'm assuming you're talking about Robert A. Heinlein, who wikipedia says was a sci fi writer). The only thing he's written that I've heard about is Starship Troopers, and I only know that because of the lame movie.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote