View Single Post
Old August 30 2013, 10:30 PM   #74
billcosby
Commodore

Re: Dexter - The Final Season (Spoiler Discussion)

It's sad. Went it first came out this was the best thing to watch on television. Every one was watching Dexter in the first couple of seasons.

Could the writers not figure out how to pull off a big reveal? Would it have been too difficult or off-putting to have Dex on the run from MMPD (ditch the usual formula, etc). I will certainly wait and see but I can't figure that any of this is turning out the way we'd hoped.

I remember an interview with David Chase shortly after The Sopranos ended. Although very polarizing at the time I came to appreciate how that series ended. But there was a quotation from him that surprised me how strongly he felt that fans of his anti hero wanted him dead:

"The way I see it is that Tony Soprano had been people's alter ego. They had gleefully watched him rob, kill, pillage, lie and cheat. They had cheered him on. And then, all of a sudden, they wanted to see him punished for all that. They wanted "justice." They wanted to see his brains splattered on the wall. I thought that was disgusting, frankly. [...] The pathetic thing—to me—was how much they wanted his blood, after cheering him on for eight years."

I wasn't thinking the same thing for Dexter at all - just that if he did get killed in the finale it would have brought kind of a completion to the series as he would never kill again. But does this series go for the happy ending more times than not? Anyway, we've egged Dexter on for years, yes, and I don't think he needs to be killed, but it's the duping of all the cops he worked with that must be dealt with... they've littered the series to references aplenty to the frustration of the cops who see bad guys walk all the time. For internal screw-ups, for red tape and mistakes in due process.

I see it as a major cop-out (pun intentional?) that Dexter scoots off into the night with his blonde-of-the-week and kill tools to kill all the scum bags in Argentina. That ending won't sit right with me.

My guess is Dexter lives. And MMPD doesn't find out OR they find out so far into the finale that there is no time for any meaningful reactions by his co-workers.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote